Monday, August 31, 2009

Of Mickey and Marvel

I have for you one of those events that will utterly surprise you and yet make you wonder why it is utterly surprising.

Disney has bought Marvel.

In a deal costing about $4 billion, Mickey Mouse and Magneto will be under the control of the same company. Aladdin and Captain America. Namor the Sub-Mariner and the Little Mermaid. All under the control of the same company.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. As long as Disney's stupidity doesn't rub off the already volatile Marvel, I will be content. But the moment I see Goofy in an X-Men outfit, I'm out.

I will say that while this is a very surprising event, it really shouldn't be. Marvel, one of the most successful and effective companies as far as visual communication goes, seems like a very adequate partner for the animated entertainment giant that Walt Disney has become.

I think Penny Arcade puts it quite well:

1 comment:

  1. So, Our whole theme for residence life this year is Disney. They own a lot of different random things like lifetime and espn. Anyways, aside from that, I miss you. A lot. Still waiting on yout letter :)

    ReplyDelete