Monday, September 20, 2010

Are Pennies Useful?

What follows is an incredibly insightful yet entertaining rant against the penny (and the nickel). He makes a compelling argument against the production of pennies and nickels, and also points out that it is a non-political issue, which could help facilitate bi-partisan communication:



As I see it, pennies are all but useless. The only thing I use them for are putting in the "give a penny, take a penny" plate at registers, the Salvation Army red buckets during the Christmas season, and for throwing at people.

So I ask: Do you think the penny is a good thing to keep around? What are some reasons for keeping it?

2 comments:

  1. I collect squashed pennies so I would be saddened by the loss of them, however, I also think that we could do without them.

    There are machines that squash coins other than pennies so I think I would survive if we decided to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh. I can dig it.

    Also, consider that if the penny is dropped from circulation, the surplus pennies could be squashed.

    Although they might at that point be considered collector's items.

    ReplyDelete