Monday, May 24, 2010

...and Found?

If you didn't know that the series finale of LOST was last night, then please inform me where the the rock you have been living under is located, because is sounds like a wonderfully secluded place.

I don't frequently discuss television on this blog, but I am going to start. I started watching the show in the first season but got disenchanted with it in the third, because there was no foreseeable end to the maddening questions and plot twists. But I ended up picking it back up in season 5. So I missed an entire season, who cares?

If you have no idea what is going on, I won't be a narciLOSTssist and tell you that you MUST watch it, that your condition as a functioning member of culture is dependent upon it. But it is good stuff.

As for the finale, I was pretty satisfied. While they didn't answer a lot of questions I was hoping they would, that's not their purpose and they've set no precedent for it. Their job is to present a complete story, and they did just that.

The two concessions of my overall approval of the show are this:
  1. There are some things that seem a little sloppily done. For example:
    • Michael/Walt all but disappearing after season 2.
    • Some of the early series statements: Aaron being important/foreboding, Jack's tatoos, etc.

  2. While they didn't necessarily answer all of your questions, and that's fine, they did leave out some info that wouldn't have necessarily answered our questions, but would have left the viewers with the ability to come to their own conclusions. I'm talking about the real importance of the island (if the smoke monster is dead, who cares about the island? [unless you give us another reason to]) and what the smoke monster really was.
Other than that, I think that as a whole, LOST was an unparalleled television event.

No comments:

Post a Comment