Monday, February 8, 2010

Six Word Memoirs

About a year ago a friend was doing a photography project entitled "Six Word Memoirs," inspired (as far as I can tell) by a certain NPR story and gallery, or, upon further research, this book and this magazine.

Whatever the original source, she asked a group of us to give her a memoir, summed up in exactly six words. No more, no less. This was to be accompanied with our photographic portrait. What I came up with was:
I was born, and then again.
I have tried very hard to match the glory of that precedent. I will continue to try. In the meantime, here are a few others I have done:
My soul clings to the dust.

Life happens a lot. Respond accordingly.

Love is all that I can.

I have fallen for you, miss.
Now, when the same directive was put to others of my friends, here is what was produced:
I want to wear a tie.
I'm so glad that's over with.
It rained yesterday. My umbrella broke.

--Daniel Romanoski
and
I am my mother's flower child.
The world hurts, but he restores.

--Amanda Patterson
It is an interesting exercise. It takes some thought and purpose and often creativity to condense experience to a mere six words. From a poetic point of view, it is a convenient and interesting way to get he most bang for your buck as far as words go.

Now, I know I ask you as readers to do things a lot, or at least ask what you think, but this is a sincere request: please please PLEASE take a tad bit of your time to do this. Boil it down to a "penny for your thoughts" query.

It doesn't have to be a memoir of your whole life, your "singular purpose." It can be for the last year, the last week, the last day--it could even be a memoir of the last hour. Just think about it, and post your Six Word Memoir as a comment.

6 comments: