Thursday, January 7, 2010

Up in the Air

I went and saw this flick with some friends in Chucktown Sunday night, and I really enjoyed it. I was telling a few different people that I wouldn't be surprised or upset if it swept the Oscars.

I think one of my favorite parts was something that many filmmakers have started successfully pulling off more and more--non-resolution.

That's right, a lack of resolution. Sure, they point you in the right direction with the meaning, but there is enough left unanswered that you really have to take in what you saw and marry it to you own experience to complete the purpose of the film.

In that particular film, the two main characters, Ryan and Natalie, have very different ideas of what it means to live, to enjoy life, and to love. Different people will assuredly agree with one of the other, and I think many want to side with Natalie's more hopeful, traditional sense. Ryan's life is, appropriately, not painted in the best light.

Even then, though, you can see in Natalie how Ryan's lifestyle, in the very least, can give you some pointers on how to maintain your own.

I won't ruin the movie, but I highly recommend it. Go see it and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment