Friday, February 6, 2009

The Love of My Life

I went to see a dance performance tonight, not normally my cup of tea, but it was amazing. As a poet, I highly appreciated the artistry and metaphor and symbolism it contained. Quite amazing.

Now, as result of noticing the above qualities, and the simple fact that I look for and normally find metaphor and poetry in just about everything, I came to the conclusion that the love of my life, or just about anyone I was to love romantically for a long period of time, would have to be able to do something similar.

Either she would need to be able to recognize it herself, just like I do, or she would have to at least genuinely appreciate it whenever I got excited about it. I find myself often, repeatedly, perpetually echoing the desire of the speaker in The Postal Service's song "Clark Gable":

"I want so badly to believe that 'there is truth, that love is real,' and I want life in every word to the extent that it's absurd."

That is literally what I want. Life in every word. And some people may think it's absurd. But I don't. And I think that the love of my life will have to be the same way.

Now, I am by no means trying to "limit God's choice" or any such nonsense. For all I know, God may have someone picked out for me who hates literature/poetry/art. I'm just saying that the likelihood of that being the case is not very grand in my mind.

Mayhaps she will not agree, per sé, or she will not do it herself, but I feel as though she would at least have to appreciate the quality in myself and be willing to listen and celebrate it whenever I have a poetic outburst.

No comments:

Post a Comment