Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The "Scene"

A week or so back, there was a hardcore concert at my church, and I found it comfortable to sit on the ground in the middle of the room, from whence this poem was born.

For those of you who don't know, the hardcore 'scene' is composed of those that listen to, play, and go to see hardcore music performed. Some of this subculture's characteristics are intense anger and wild, violent dancing at concerts.

"A Musing On The 'Hardcore' Scene"

I sit on the floor, a silent sage or judge,
Laying no condemnation, simply
Careful observation, quiet analysis
Of a group that screams and riots
In defiance of everything;
A culture, sub-culture
By most contemporary standards.

My presence on the ground is foreign,
Obtrusive, and unheard of,
To a group that is foreign,
Obtrusive, and unheard of.
I am an interloper through my position,
Seated, on the ground,
While the norm is: standing,
Screaming, dancing, flailing,
Wanting loving, but lacking,
And so hurting.

I am learning that my silence is so strange
Because silent sitting, thinking
Is not an option for those that surround me.
I am in appearance like them,
But I did not come from them.
They yearn for love,
And so scream, and shove.

2 comments:

  1. I love this T.J. I was in a semi-hardcore band in high school, so I know what kids you're talking about.

    I think the strange part is that they will never admit to themselves or anyone else that their overwhelming desire for acceptance is what prompts their adherence to a "sub-culture" of people just like themselves. In their desire to be set apart, they are really just becoming a different form of "preps" or "jocks" they try to distance themselves from.

    ReplyDelete