Saturday, March 28, 2009

Holy Ain't Easy

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us"
—Hebrews 12:1

Being raised in the church, and attending numerous conferences and camps, I've heard this verse so many times. When I read it the other day though, it struck me in a much deeper way.

I think a lot of time we (very often me) say that the spiritual walk and spiritual discipline is so difficult (insert whiny teenage voice there). But I think that's the point. It is difficult.

Jesus had to walk uphill to get to the Cross. There's no escalator to heaven. It is indeed a stairway, or perhaps more accurately a 45% grade mountain trail.

In the other versions of Hebrews 21:1 that I looked up, instead of endurance I saw perseverance, persistence, without giving up, and even with patience. In fact, the Amplified Bible says it like this: "with patient endurance and steady and active persistence."

And then there's the sin: when you are running uphill, do you think you'd be inclined to hold on to a couple of 50 lb. weights, just for kicks? Or tie some ropes to you legs? There is no logical excuse for holding on to something that can and will hold you up, trip you up and cause you to give up.

I think this quote by Jonathan Edwards really nails it:
"We should travel on in the way of obedience to all God’s commands, even the difficult as well as the easy; denying all our sinful inclinations and interests. The way to heaven is ascending; we must be content to travel up hill, though it be hard and tiresome, and contrary to the natural bias of our flesh."

No comments:

Post a Comment