Saturday, April 25, 2009

Overnight Hammocking

Last night my friend Andy and I slept in our hammocks instead of our dorm rooms. I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty dang cool. However, I must qualify it's dang coolness.

First, it is very difficult to sleep in a hammock, as it is not flat like a bed. That problem will hopefully be remedied next time we do it, with a little adjustment of the hanging technique.

Second, people are ridiculous. First, at about 2 AM, there was a group of 5-7 seemingly intoxicated people that came out to the pod-living structures near where we hung our hammocks, and proceeding to be ri-dang-diculously loud and obnoxious. Also, at a approximately 4 or 5 AM, two people came over and something along the lines of the following:
"Hmm, I wonder what these are?"
"I think they're hammocks."
"Yeah, it looks like that's what they are."
At which point one of them proceeded to lean down on Andy's hammock, which he had drawn over himself and was therefore not visible, to which he replied "Who's there!?"
"Oh F*CK! There's f*ckin' people in these hammocks!"
Which of course was very conducive to sleeping.

Overall, it was good though. Out of the 6 hours we were out there, I slept probably 5. Next time, though, armed with better technique and hopefully a better location, we should be solid for the whole night.

2 comments: