Monday, October 5, 2009

The Return

This past weekend was Family Weekend at the prestigious Winthrop University. It was pretty cool to see my parents and little siblings (minus Liz, who I saw last weekend), and have them see my uh, house. I guess little is a bit of a misnomer as well, Jeremy's almost as tall as me, dang it. If he surpasses me in height, you all as my witnesses I will punch something cute, innocent and vulnerable. Currently I'm thinking bunnies or kittens.

Anyways, back to the point of this post: On Saturday night, the entirety of the Schley clan that was in Rock Hill went and saw a DSU event, a performance by the Beatles tribute band The Return.

Now, judging by my last sentence and their website, you will probably roll your eyes and think incredulous, doubtful thoughts as I did. But beware, unbeliever, their performance was a-daggum-mazing. So good, in fact, that my brother and I spent the first 24 minutes [an exact figure] of the show trying to figure out if they were just playing the music and lip-syncing to the original Beatles vocals.

(We finally figured it out on their rendition of "Paperback Writer" during which their harmony was noticeably different than that of the Beatles. Not bad, just not the exact same.)

I'm not going to lie, it was pretty interesting to get the feel of what it would have been like to be at a Beatles show. Sure, there were not hundreds of hormone-driven teen girls inundating the stage, but from what I could tell, they really captured the feel of the Beatles as a group. Right down to their British accents and the exact instruments they play, the same types the Beatles played, according to my dad.

It was also entertaining to watch the middle-aged and up women get into the aisles and start dancing. From "Hold Your Hand" straight on through the last song I heard before we had to go, "Yellow Submarine," it was delightful performance to say the least. I'd recomment going to see them if you ever have the chance.

2 comments: