Thursday, May 21, 2009

Of Twitter

I am halfway considering joining Twitter. I have become somewhat opposed to seemingly nonsensical technological fads, as is evidenced in my now two-month absence from Facebook.

Again, as with Facebook, Twitter has attracted my attention because of the possibilities it presents. For me, I had a lot of fun coming up with witty, poetic, or deep status updates1 and Twitter would be an excellent avenue to continue to do this.

In addition to that, it would a halfway decent way to keep up with some of my favorite bands, authors, etc., including but not limited to Prodigal Jon, Derek Webb's new CD, and C28. Not to mention some of my friends as well.

My concessions include the following:
  1. It could easily become as engrossing as Facebook was.
  2. Blogging in and of itself has become somewhat tedious2 and tweeting could easily add to the hassle.
  3. It could become, just as Facebook or blogging, a crutch to prevent the necessity of actual communication.
  4. I've existed perfectly fine without its intrusion into my life so far, so why start now?
We'll see how it turns out. Any thoughts on Twitter and whether it's a legitimate venture?

1 You have no idea how many lines for poems originated in this manner

2 I currently have 101 items from my various subscriptions in Google Reader that I need to read.

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever considered just trying something out instead of spending so much time and effort picking said something apart and pretty much ruining the idea of it before it's even tried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Twitter would devastate your life in any way if you decided to follow it for a week or so.

    My only thing is that you're about to go off to camp, so it would be kind of pointless to start Twitter now. So if you were gonna do it, I would wait until camp is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it would devastate my life, but I do think it would add to the noise that consistently distracts me from what I should be doing.

    I do see how it wouldn't be bad to try it for a bit. I would just prefer to stay in it or out of it completely, rather than dabble and then quit. That's just the way I like it though: a few specific things done hardcore.

    ReplyDelete