Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Star Trek

Let me begin by saying that I thought the movie was epic, and extremely well done. I'm tempted to just end my review right there, but I'm sure you all are just dying to read what else I have to say about it.

I think the video I posted really sums up a great deal of why the movie was so excellent. Now, I must admit I only have a nominal knowledge of the original Star Trek canon, but based on what I do know, I think that J.J. Abrams did an admirable job of adhering to the core of what has given the Star Trek series such a cult following.

While hardcore Trekkies may be opposed to a twist in the movie that occurs roughly halfway through, as I was myself originally disinclined to it, but it is my opinion that it was skillfully done. Many modern plot diversions from the source material's canon are done superfluously and poorly, but this one movie were that is not the case.

I think at its heart, Star Trek is about taking the feel of the old pirate and exploration movie and stories, where an entire crew works together on an adventure, and translating it into a sci-fi, futuristic space arena.

Personally that was the one of the things that always drew me to the series: the idea that from the bridge a handful of individuals controlled this massive ship, piloting and fighting an equally massive enemy, just like an old 16th century galleon.

All in all, if you do not consider yourself a Trekkie or a Star Trek fan, you can still find a great deal to enjoy in this film. Intense and well-choreographed action sequences and space battles make for a very entertaining watch.

Those, coupled with artistically masterful transitions and cinematography in general, not to mention a pretty decent musical score cooperated for an entertaining and competent piece of work.

Finally, I'd like to address the acting. All I can say is well done: the casting was spot on! I loved seeing the Heroes villain Zachary Quinto as Spock [not to mention Leonard Nimoy], and I also enjoyed Kirk, McCoy, Chekov, and Sulu, and of course, Simon Pegg [of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame] as Scotty.

It was very entertaining to here familiar lines blurted out, from "Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" to "I'm givin' 'er all she's got, captain!" That, and there was quite a bit of humor interspersed throughout the story.

In short, you should go see this film if you already have not. While it is too early in the year to call it the best, I will easily rank it among the best movies of 2009.

Also, I may post another review of it in a more literarily analtyical manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment