Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Fun Theory

What if we could change behavior for the better by making things fun to do?

That is the essential question that The Fun Theory, "an initiative of Volkswagen," asks.

And my response is: why didn't I think of this first!?! This could have major repercussions, if these things were actually implemented, and if Volkswagen follows up instead of just using it as some dumb publicity stunt.

I'll share one of the ideas they tried out, and let you check out the others for yourself:

A Glass Recycling Bank that doubles as a game where you can get a score--



How fun is that? I would be trying to find stuff to recycle all the live-long day if that was in my neighborhood or on Winthrop's campus!

Other ideas include Piano Stairs, the "World's Deepest" Trashcan, and I saw one person's suggestion for a sink that made colors flash across the screen as you washed your hands.

Do you think that fun can change people behavior?

What do you think we could get people to do by making it fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment