Tuesday, November 24, 2009

School Kills Creativity

It is astounding to me how nearly everyone thinks education is important, and most have education opinions based primarily on their own experience in school and a few random facts they've picked up from an article or random study or the like.

Not that this is wrong, just that it seems interesting that so many people "care," but not enough to really do something about it, beyond the occasional rally or protest or "get out the vote" campaign.

I'm not going to give you my ideas that I think will solve all issues. Even the video I'm about to introduce I don't think offers the end-all solution.

That being said, I think that what Sir Ken Robinson says is this video is really intriguing. Now, it is a 20 minute video, but I know you can stick it out, tiger.

Like he says: Where in the world can you find an education system that doesn't have a hierarchy of subjects with Math, Science, History at the top and the Arts at the bottom?

Oh, I forgot to mention that he is hilarious even through his serious subject matter.



So what do you think?

Do schools kill creativity?

How could we change this?

[Tip o' the Hat to Doug McAbee]

2 comments:

  1. we watched this in one of my education classes.
    I agree with him so much. Especially as someone studying to be a part of arts in public education. Art has such a huge part in our development and the opportunity to be creative is the best thing we can do for children in education. Its so frustrating that in school districts that are struggling and schools that are loosing funding, the first programs to get cut are the arts. Its a loss of a job opportunity for me, but so much more importantly, these children have no creative outlet. we require them to sit in chairs, still and quiet all day, and expect them to learn, and not act out. we take every bit of color from them. I hope that somehow I can affect that. I think that there are people who are changing things, and every arts teacher in a public school is doing some small part to restore some color. I am so excited to be a part of this, but our opinions toward what is "really important" in education will not change until we, as a society, understand the importance of creativity and right brained thinking. something drastic has to change in our educational values. I think this starts with the teacher. from the math to the drama teacher, educators have the opportunity, and, i think, the responsibility to change the way we see intelligence and education.

    didn't mean to write you a book. this may or may not be a soap box of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moses, that is a nice little novel you have there. Soap box is yes, I think.

    I agree. I wonder if there should be not so much "more arts" and more creativity in all subjects? Although I don't know how that would be implemented.

    But I definitely think, as an artist, that our education system squelches creativity (with the exception of a select few individuals) and then wonder's why everyone ends up the same.

    ReplyDelete