Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What I'm Reading

Mere Christanity by C.S. Lewis.

[for the record, I used this picture because that is the same cover as the copy I have. It's ancient]

It's one of the classics, so I've been told. This will be the first bit by Lewis that I have read outside of the Chronicles of Narnia.

How can I have not read this book by now, seeing as I am an ardent lover of theology and Christian thought? I dunno, your guess is as good as mine.

So far, I am a big fan of what he's saying, and the way he's saying it. I could give you several quotes, and I'm not that far in. I am very much amazed at Lewis ability to articulate in a clear and (maybe not) concise matter the amazing truths we find in the world around us.

I'm a big fan of the style he is writing in this book: building and growing a philosophy from very fundamental, observable roots. It reminds of why I enjoy many of Paul's letters.

"First, of all He left us conscience, the sense of right and wrong: and all through history there have been people trying (some of them very hard) to obey it. None of them ever quite succeeded.

Secondly, he sent the human race what I call good dreams: I mean those queer stories scattered all through the heathen religions about a god who dies and comes to life again and, by his death, a, has somehow given new life to men.

[and then, one of the best explanations for why God "chose" the nation of Israel I've ever heard]

Thirdly, He selected one particular people and spent several centuries hammering into their heads the sort of God He was--that there was only one of Him and that He cared about right conduct. Those people were the Jews, and the Old Testament gives an account of the hammering process."
--pg. 54

5 comments:

  1. I read that in Highschool and really loved it as well!...it just gets even better as you get deeper into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure! And I'm starting to see where all these people get their C.S. Lewis quotes from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are a good many quotes from that one. I'd recommend The Four Loves after that one. Well, anything Lewis really. But the Four Loves is particularly excellent. You can borrow my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks boss. I may do that. I kind of want to get it myself though. Either that or the Weight of Glory is next on my list of things to read by Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read The Four Loves and its a great book. But I've never read Weight of Glory.

    ReplyDelete