Monday, November 30, 2009

Why I Hate Thanksgiving

Okay, maybe hate is a strong word, but it got you here and reading this, didn't it?

First I would like to say that my dislike of this particular holiday has nothing to do with the fact that I spent all of last week, Thanksgiving break, laying on a couch trying to conquer the Swine Flu. Fortunately, my campaign was successful, but it was an altogether NOT enjoyable experience. I don't suggest getting it, if anyone was still up in the air about it.

Now, why do I dislike Thanksgiving? There are a number of different reasons.

1. It takes away from Christmas.

I don't care if it's not your favorite holiday, or if you're disgusted by the way it's become commercialized and a big greed-fest, you better listen to the daggum song--it IS the most wonderful time of the year. And people getting angry at Christmas music starting early because "Oh, what about Thanksgiving?" is getting me pretty torqued myself. What about Thanksgiving? What about it? It's like a warm-up for the real holiday season.

2. Original meaning of Thanksgiving = Sketch.

Not you-shouldn't-have-made-that-innuendo sketch, but more of let's-think-about-what-really-went-down sketch. Pilgrims hate Church of England. Church of England say "F-off!" Pilgrims flee to create isolated moralistic society. Pilgrims barely survive in New World, except for the help of the Indians. Pilgrims are Thankful, yay! Pilgrims later unwittingly or willfully assist in extermination of a large portion of North America's indigenous people. Yay! Thanks Church of England!

3. Most people aren't really Thankful.

Okay, except for you. Yeah, I'm talking to you, Mr. Person-Who-Posted-A-"Things I'm Thankful For"-List on their blog. Or that guy in that one Thanksgiving Hallmark special. Or everyone for that five minutes before you cut into the Turkey when Mom makes everyone say one thing they are thankful for. But really, the week has never contained a "spirit of gratitude" in my experience. Am I wrong? Now, I'm not saying we should just through it out, and I think we could strive for it, but right now, that's just simply no the case.

4. It's at the wrong time.

This sort of coincides with point #1, but honestly, shouldn't the thankful season come after the "season of greed?" Wouldn't that at least be a little more honest? I mean, who arranged the holidays anyway, because I have a big problem with not getting St. Patrick's Day off from school. That, and it's what, four or five days to celebrate gratitude? Like we couldn't use more of it the rest of the year?

Conclusion:

I understand this is not a perfectly reasonable view to hold, but I really do think we are into consolidating good things to certain time periods: Gratitude at Thanksgiving. Cheer, Joy, and Generosity at Christmas. Appreciation of our parents on the respective Mothers and Fathers Days. (In some cases) Love on St. Valentine's Day.

I nominate the rest of the year to celebrate these much-needed qualities.

5 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving is my favorite.
    Compared to Christmas, its so so so much less stressful. You get to love you family and spend time with them. There's no stress of greedyness and no one is disappointed because they didn't get the stuff they wanted. Its a non material version of Christmas. You get all the warm "I love my family and I love good food" ness of Christmas without the worldly distractions. I understand that isn't what Christmas is supposed to be about, but it becomes that, and thanksgiving can't. there's no gifts to give.
    I see your point, but it will remain my favorite holiday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not thought about it lacking the potential for greediness, but still--how many families just get together because that's what they're supposed to do and not because they want to?

    And sitting around watching football and eating doesn't strike me as the best time with family that most people would want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my love for the holiday comes from the way my family celebrates. We don't really watch that much football, or television at all, that day. We just spend time together, eating and talking and playing games, and cooking. I can only speak from that. Thats the reason I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see. I'm not saying it's the worst holiday ever, I just think it is somewhat over rated in it's current condition. Not that we can't change that. It has a lot of potential for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just have never had turkey fixed by Tom. If you had that, you would think that Thanksgiving was the most amazing holiday.

    ReplyDelete