Thursday, March 25, 2010

Not to Get Political, But...

I don't think this is a political issue. I think it is an inherently theological one.

Now, just as a caveat, I would like to inform you that, if pushed to it, I would probably declare myself politically conservative, or at least conservative-moderate. I also don't have huge issues with Fox News as a network (a view that may change the next few years), like many liberal-minded people do.

That being said, Glenn Beck is nothing short of one of the most despicable "journalists" (if you can call him that) I have ever witnessed. Recently, he has equated the ideas of social justice with communism, and actually had the audacity to tell Christians to leave their churches if their church supports it.

First, where the heck does Glenn Beck get the idea he has any authority to compel Christians to do anything. His Mormon faith is not a branch of Christianity (an argument for another time) and even if it were, he is nowhere near the position of minister.

Second, if you take even the slightest glance at the Bible, both testaments make a strong emphasis on caring for the poor, and instituting social justice. Observe:
"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
--James 1:27 (closely preceded by a warning to bridle your tongue--ironic? I think not).
But that's a little ambiguous, yes? How about this:
"The righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’"
--Matthew 25:37-40.
I don't know how you can get much clear than that. There are also old testament examples of social and economic justice. Not to mention probably the greatest commandment Christ gave--love your neighbor as yourself. If you were poor, destitute, unable to pay for basic health or living costs, I think you would honestly desire help, so why is even talking about doing that considered dangerous?

Part 2 of this to come tomorrow. [See it here]

1 comment:

  1. Good points, TJ. I recently came across this verse that I have written on a sticky note and stuck to my desk:
    "Open your mouth for the mute, for rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righetously, defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9. Glenn Beck must not be able to read :(.

    ReplyDelete