Friday, March 19, 2010

The Second Coming


I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't just put that comic there because I thought it was hilarious, and it's only tangentially related to the substance of this post. Now, on to the post.

What's this? "OhmyfreakinggoshT.J.isthebiggesthypocriteever." Why, you may ask? Actually, you're probably not. Either because
A) You know why.
B) You don't care whether or not I am on Facebook.
That's right, after all of my ranting and raving about how evil this social networking entity is, and how if you use it you probably hate everything that is good and pure in this life (I'm pretty sure I said something like that), I'm coming back.

You see, the thing is, it's been one year since I deactivated my account, and it has therefore not been a waste of my time and "just something to do"--the two main reasons I got off in the first place. Plus there are some things that are appealing to me on Facebook:
  1. The sheer number of friends I can connect to on Facebook greatly exceeds the number I can connect to just about anywhere else, especially over long distances.
  2. I can't tell you how annoying it is when someone says "Did you see that picture on Faceboo---oh, no you didn't." No, I didn't. So, seeing pictures is a plus.
  3. Seeing upcoming birthdays and events, instead of hearing about them the day of is a definite plus.
  4. Hopefully I will be able to direct people from my Facebook to this blog, and increase the readership. Maybe. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.
So, to review, I am coming back for people, photos, events, and blog. Just singular blog. I am going to start calling this blog "Blog" now. I will ask people "Did you read Blog today? Blog was funny. I worked hard on Blog." That is all.

Do you think I am hypocritical, or an idiot, or both? Or some other combination of negative monikers?

7 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome back to the 'un'-real world. It is evil, but it has become a necessary evil like cellphones have become. They got the same reaction at first;waste of time, dangerous and now... ubiquitous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is evil. But maybe it is possible to use evil for good.

    I actually almost deactivated my account this week because of my growing frustration with facebook. However, it is my only connection to many people.

    There are plenty worse things for you to be hypocritical about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just so you know TJ
    I was never planning on giving you a hard time if you got back on facebook
    its your decision and if anybody gives you crap about it thats stupid, just let me know who they are and ill beat them up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we all know the REAL reason you're back on facebook :) so just be honest!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am done debating this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do find the timing ironic. And I can settle with it simply being ironic.

    I don't think it's hypocritical for you to come back. And I don't think leaving was pointless.

    I do think that from time to time, you maybe made too big a deal of the fact that you left. Because as colossal of a time-waster facebook CAN be, it really is just a tool. And any tool used poorly will waste your time. Granted, this is a tool that often has a penchant for being useless, but how useless it is for each user, generally depends on how they use it.

    So am I blaming you for wasting your own time? I guess to a degree. But that's also why I didn't really have a problem with you deactivating your account. And given how easily it can be useless, I don't blame you entirely.

    So welcome back!

    Just be careful, because the potential for uselessness multiplied 1000-fold in the last year. I would know. I've wasted many hours on it.

    ReplyDelete